“I love the idea of a touring festival. With LUNAFEST, your film screens in 150 different cities throughout the United States and Canada. This is an amazing opportunity for a filmmaker.”
Inspiring Filmmaker: 2012
Documentary filmmaker Susan Koenen is intrigued by non-famous people who can be a role model for audiences. Her films include “Laura & Anne 4 Ever,” in which a remarkably strong 14-year-old girl loses her best friend to leukemia, and “The Wild Wild West,” about a man who created a special lurking place for underprivileged children in a multicultural neighborhood in the west of Amsterdam. Susan’s work has screened at numerous film festivals worldwide, and she has won several awards for her films.
FILM: I am a Girl!
Every 13-year-old girl dreams of that nice-but-hard-to-get boy, and Joppe is no different. She consults her friend on how to ask Brian out, but how can she tell him that she was born a boy? I Am a Girl! shows audiences a courageous young person unafraid to stand up for herself and to be who she truly believes she was meant to be.
- 2011 Jury Award for Best Documentary Short – Los Angeles Film Festival
- 2011 Panasonic Award for Best Documentary Short – CFC Worldwide Short Film Festival
- 2011 Audience Award – TranScreen Film Festival
- International Documentary Film Festival Amsterdam
- River Film Festival, Padova, Italy
- TranScreen Amsterdam Transgender Film Festival
- CFC Worldwide Short Film Festival
- Los Angeles Film Festival